November 13, 2011

Friendship and such

I had a slight meltdown last night...okay, maybe not. But I stayed home all day, cleaned up, worked on school stuff, and ended up watching TV with a gigantic glass of wine in my hand (please don't judge). I ended up drinking a bit more than just one glass...oops. However, it was well deserved (obviously) and I was alone with two dogs, so that somehow justifies it. I even offered one dog some wine but he declined by turning his back on me. Just like that. I felt alone. However, when it was time for me to get some zzzz's, he apologized and slept next to me just so I'm fully protected if anything would ever happen. How sweet.

Though the weekend's been good to me. I made myself "homesick" by catching up on all Swiss related news, and music. I listened to my local radio station back in Switzerland and heck, they are still playing the same music. Not even one song was new. I listened at night, so this made it around ten in the morning over there, but still...no new songs? Really. We all know radio stations play the same songs over and over again until we just can't stand the songs anymore, but this is worse. In the past three months nothing changed? Not even one bit? Wonder if I should email them and let them know. I am appalled. 

On another note...over the past three months, heck even almost four months I have learned a lot about friendship. A lot. 


I have learned that some friends are brilliant, and others just occasionally play a role in my life. I am sad that the friends I thought I could count on are not really friends these days. Right now typing I'm having a fun conversation with one of my oldest friends. She's going to Australia in a few days and I already miss her and our fun text messages. She'll have fun though being in Down Under again, seeing family and exploring new areas of that gigantic continent. I'm already looking forward to fun pictures and updates.
But going back to my friendship topic...I am just saddened that some people take friendships (and I'm not only talking about myself here) for granted. Yes, I can easily apply it to myself and my friends and in some way I am doing so. I may live abroad right now, and I may have a few friends here but this should not mean that I am not available for my old friends. Nowadays with all kinds of social sites, modern technologies, etc it is so much easier to stay in touch - if it is what is wanted. I have a feeling, some just do not get it at all. At all.

I am thankful however for the friends I stay in contact with via fun Skype conversations, so at least I know how they are and what they look like and how big their children/babies already are. For kids it is always fun to Skype. They do not understand (yet) how this is even possible...seeing me on a big screen and not really seeing me in reality but somehow it is reality. They ask the funniest questions and it totally makes my day!! I love it!


How are you keeping in touch with friends that live abroad, not just around the corner, or in a different time zone?

15 comments :

Christianna said...

Goodness everything you just said is so true! We should never take our friends for granted, whether they are the ones who stick with you through thick and thin, or just the ones you giggle with every once in awhile! Loved this post!

k said...

radioooo pilaaatussss!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I've def been reevaluating my friendships recently. Unfortunately I've had to cut a lot of people out as of late. But in the end, I'll be better :)

Ashley said...

Oh yes, I understand! Well, the thing is, some people just don't stay your friend for life...it's a sad reality we must learn.

I definitely use skype to stay in touch...as well as facebook chat ;)

Abby said...

I completely agree with your sentiments on friendship. It is something that has to be constantly nourished and cultivated (which is SO MUCH easier said than done!) Hope your homesickness wears off soon, I know how that is!

A Life Un-Styled said...

Your post and thoughts resonate so strongly with me. I can count my best friends on the fingers of one hand and that's how I want it.There was a time in my life where I thought I don't have many friends but my closest friend said to me that it's better that way, why should people who really love me have to share me :) He's a smart guy!

Alexa said...

So hard...Skype is amazing...plus emails. Don't know how I would have survived.

Swissy said...

Hey there, pretty girl. Sending you a big HELLO from good ole Switzerland ;)

True what you said about friendship. In life we cut out a lot of so called friends. And it's always a disappointment, isn't it. But also it always surprises me that those friends are there for you from who you would have never thought they would be, you know what I mean?

Aaanyway, yes, true that stuff with the Swiss radio. It's awful. Always same music, not funny jokes, idiots talking about stupid and BORING stuff. Listen to radio swisspop; that's a really good one. But you can only get it through internet or digital. Not on the radio. It has great music and almost no "Gelaber" ;))))

xoxo

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Skype is such a life saver. I love being able to keep in touch with my friends around the world that way!

And my hubby when he's traveling. :)

Nicole Marie said...

sorry you're a little homesick. friends are so important. skype definitely helps.

Titine and totoche said...

You're right! Friendships are so important and we can still be available for friends if they are abroad, though I do think that distance makes you realize which are your real friends.

Hope you're doing great!!

Ann said...

Nice quote on friendship.

I think friendship is like anything we value in life... it needs to be taken cared of or else it will just fade away. But there are friends that even if we don't get to see for years, and when we do talk to them or meet with them after its like no time has passed, no distance came between us.

Friendship of the trues kind is like a once in a lifetime love affair.

Sam said...

I love your insight on friendship, I agree with everything you wrote. Great post!

Unknown said...

It's SO hard keeping up with friends who are far away. my best friend is in Canada & it's super tough. I'm impressed at your ability to keep up with so many people!

Sierra said...

I think you are doing wonderful keeping in touch with your Switzerland friends. It's hard when distance is involved. You and I have talked about this, but I think that quality is definitely better than quantity (not saying that you are thinking this at all.) But it just got me thinking about how much my friendships have changed. I went from having a lot of friendships that weren't that great to having a few great friendships that I appreciate (of course you included!!!)

I stay in touch with friends mainly via text and Facebook. I'm bad at talking on the phone, but I'll do it if it's important to a friend. Thanks for being my bestie!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...