August 13, 2013

My GF rant, or my happy crazy revelation

I'm not a fan of daytime TV. However, today, I decided to stay home and clean. All day. So I did, but I also needed a break and so I happened to watch the Dr. Oz Show. Funny coincidence that it was about gluten, my favorite new protein. Today's episode just made sense to me. Not only did it confirm to me that I am not alone in this (and I know I am not), but it also confirmed that I was right about my Swiss doctors (yes, plural!). They always misdiagnosed my symptoms. For so many incredible years. 

I cannot tell you guys how many times I went to the doctors because I just knew I needed help. I knew something wasn't right and that I was sick. You can't feel what I felt for months at a time, not find a thing, and then try to live life as if nothing ever happened. I faked my happiness. I tried to understand my doctors because well, for once I am not a doctor so I put my faith into my doctors, and second, I knew that doctors are humans after all and not Gods. So I understood the fact that they just couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. For the longest time I was diagnosed with low blood iron which yes, I did have. But when all kinds of similar symptoms persist and you just wonder why because your iron is excellent then something else must be the cause. All I always got was "try to not move too fast, and stimulate your blood circulation" so I would feel better in the morning and not always experience this morning sickness for the rest of the day. Hmmmm....for two days that worked. That's then it. And what about my skin? Those pills worked once but then not anymore. I mean, do I have to live like that for the rest of my life? I don't think so.


One of my best friends here in California who also is gluten intolerant convinced me to give a doctor's visit another try. Just because my Swiss doctors never ever even came close to thinking my symptoms and feelings could be food related didn't mean that my new doctor couldn't find something else. I'm not saying my Swiss doctors were bad, but they quickly gave up and thought I was nuts when I entered their office every other week. I needed a break from this nonsense. And I found my break.

So yes, going gluten free changed my life. I'm still struggling but I found my happy space. I cannot believe it took me so long to find out. When I watched Dr. Oz today there was this lady that talked about how she was misdiagnosed all the time. Got pills for this and then for that, and hello? It hit home for me. It felt like I was looking at myself in the mirror.

Even though gluten-related problems are increasingly common some people don't even know they have them. We just need to be more aware. Old-fashioned home-baked breads don't fully exist anymore. They do but they are so modernized or quickly done that there's always traces of gluten in them which yes, cause health problems.

What I learned again today was that many doctors simply didn't believe in gluten to be causing a health problem. Or, well, bread or pasta to be the source of certain health problems. I am glad this has changed. Maybe I should email my doctors back in Europe telling them that they might have to look into this. Maybe I'm going to do this. Who knows. And look, Santa is going gluten-free for once. ;)




Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment :

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

My mom just called me to tell me about seeing this program today! She's been really sick, lost a lot of weight bc she can't keep any food down, and a bunch of other issues. She's been going to USC to get tested bc they though he liver was failing but they couldn't find anything. Today she said she has a lot of the symptoms he named. While this is nothing to want, I am actually praying this is it. She's not doing well at all so hopefully she can find an answer.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...