March 31, 2016

Book Challenge Update {1}


This year I want to read more. Last year was not a year for me to sit down and get lost in the written word. I tried. I failed miserably. 2016, as announced earlier this year, is a reading year. I started off slow but this doesn't mean it's going to be a bad reading year. I am not forcing myself to read a certain amount of books, but I am hoping to get inspired by books again and end up reading more than just a few per month. Today I wanted to catch up and share what I have been reading so far and why, and how it has been going so far.

My first book was House Rules by Jodi Picoult

I started this last year but as I said I wasn't feeling the need for the written word to distract me. It took me a while to get into this book but I finished it and liked it. What can I say, it is a Picoult book. You either like her style or you don't. She has her style. I like it. A mix of mystery and autism combined. Not bad but could have been more consistent. Not sure if that's the word I am looking for. Something was off with it but I still finished it....maybe it was my love for her writing.

Verdict: I like the fact that she addressed Asperger's but it lacked the aha moment or the wow factor for me. I still liked the book just thought she wrote better books.

My second book was Trace Evidence by Bruce Henderson

My man picked this book for me. He had to read it for one of his classes years ago and thought it would be a great book for me to get my hands on. I never thought I'd be interested in a book like this. It's about the Interstate 5 homicides in the 1980s in Northern California. It started off slow and bored me. I was about to quit but then it got interesting when the main suspect, the killer, got introduced and described. The writing was not my favorite because, well, at times it felt like a police report and I am sure it partially was one. After all it is all based on true facts and events. 

Verdict: Liked it and would recommend it if you like real events murder stuff.

My third book was 5 Habits of a Woman of Doesn't Quit by Nicki Koziarz

I am currently still reading this. A friend of mine suggested to read this and created a book club, and so I chose to join and voila, reading it. It's a good, eye-opening book with stories and thoughts I can actually relate to. It is definitely not a book I would have chosen but it's a great change for once. It's a bit too religious for me but when I rethink it as non-biblical based it works just as well. So far so good, and our weekly discussions are fun!! Plus, yes, if you are in a situation or feel like you want to quit and give up...it changes your perspective.

Verdict: Definitely worth reading, especially when you feel like giving up on anything or everything.

What have you been reading?
Happy last day of March!!! Unbelievable how fast time flew by!!!

xox

1 comment :

C said...

Ooh, I want to read 5 Habits of a Woman of Doesn't Quit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...